Coding the Robot

We’ve been using Visual Studio Code (the preferred IDE used to be Eclipse) and have been diving into Java to try and learn how to automate portions of our robot.

The WPILib API has some methods for using speed controllers (Spark Max motor controllers), but we haven’t yet figured out the appropriate way to turn them a certain number of rotations with our current hardware. A potential method surfaced in the Rev Robotics API with some mentions on how to measure total rotations, but it wasn’t immediately obvious on how to actually set the motor to move only one.


We’ve also looked at moving them a certain distance by setting a maximum duration that they would be powered for. While we’ve attempted this in the past during the autonomous period at the beginning of the game, the biggest problem with this approach is the potential for network packet loss or wattage differences during game play. It doesn’t seem like anything very specific, like picking up a ball, lifting it to a certain height, and placing it in a bucket could be accomplished using this method.

Currently when driving manually we have to be very careful and precise, whereas if the appropriate program is setup, a series of events could be accomplished with the press of a single button. So we are still actively working on learning to code and are experimenting with various approaches.

WebP Images

It took a while, but after realizing that the site was going a little slow we researched a few ways to increase the performance.

It turns out that after converting the images to WebP and setting up the appropriate fallback tags so that browsers that do not support this next generation format still render, the performance tests jumped way up from their much lower score.

One of many Lighthouse test results

Click the image above for the unsimulated WebPageTest results.

2019 FRC Windsor Competition

Our team competed and did well. We ended up ranking 33 out of 40. Being that we had no practice, a lot of things broke down during the competition. The whole team worked really hard and fixed problem after problem.

In our last match we competed against the best team in the competition and our robot was smashed. The pistons, used to raise the robot to the second level, were pushed into the wheels and bent a sharp piece of aluminum frame. This scraped the wheels up and we couldn’t move throughout the rest of the match.

Looking ahead, our drivers now have a lot of driving practice and will be even more ready for the London Tournament. There are a few things that will need fixing up after all this on the actual robot. We will also need some more practice on our second level climb.

Here are some photos of our robot in action.

And here is our team photo with our robot. You may notice Woodie Flowers in the photo. He founded FRC, and he even kissed our robot! 🙂

MCA Infinity Robotics Team Photo

This was a really great tournament, and everyone was very supportive and helpful when something broke. For now will all get some much needed rest!

Redesigning the Arm

We had a problem with the robot arm on bagging day. We took the arm and elevator attachment off before bagging. The old arm bent the bracket that the motor lifting the arm was on.

In an attempt to make a simpler and lighter arm design, we used the durable, light, but not too cheap lexan, a poly carbonate. With the new arm almost complete, everyone can breathe easier being that the competition is coming up soon. The team has put in a lot of work over March break. We can’t wait for the competition.